Vintage-Tees

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Newgrange Didn't Disappoint Me

There are some famous and historical places that have disappointed me. I guess I built them up so BIG in my mind that when I finally viewed them, they seemed much smaller and less dramatic than I had fantasized....like the Great Pyramid for instance.

However, Newgrange wasn't one of these let-downs! No, the moment I laid my eyes on Newgrange set like a precious jewel in a large field of green, my mouth fell open for the site is simply magnificent....and just as big as I had seen in my mind's eye.

For those that don't know about Newgrange, it's a stone age (or megalithic) passage tomb structure in the Boyne Valley of Ireland and best known for it's illumination passage chamber on the Winter Solstice. After paying the entry fee, our tour leader took a group of us into the small interior and showed us where the beam of light on the winter solstice will strike the interior, and even though we weren't there on that special day, the feeling was still quite magical. I imagine the interior of Newgrange on the Winter Solstice must be one of the toughest reservations to acquire!

If you'd like to read more about Newgrange, here's a good place to start:

101 Facts about Newgrange







Labels: , , , , ,


Posted by Kuanyin Moi at 2:26 PM

3 Comments

  • Blogger Doris posted at 9:07 AM  
    So glad it disappoint - I've been there too and it is impressive. However, I don't know if you know a UK children's programme called Telly Tubbies but they have a magical land that looks like the top of Newgrange!

    Isn't the art on the stones quite amazing?

    I've not been to the pyramids of Egypt and you mention the Great Pyramid as if it was disappointing. Oh my goodness, I can't bear to think of that possibility.
  • Blogger Doris posted at 9:08 AM  
    PS. I should have said! Great pics :-)
  • Anonymous Laane posted at 3:03 AM  
    Thanks, I have really enjoyed this post.
    The photos are fabulous!
  • Post a Comment

    « Home

    Create a Link